Running a marathon for the first time is easier when you know a little bit advice from a marathon runner :-)
Hello my friends followers,
If you have the intention to run a marathon, let me give you some tips & tricks to ease the preparation & the marathon for you:
* first of all, look for a good training schedule (for me it was: runnersweb.nl)
* enjoy the training
* do not overtrain!!
* take care of your injuries & your body!!!!!
* do not panic if you cannot run because of injuries, instead do alternative training such as cycling & crosstraining and go to a physiotherapist!
* take care of your nutrition, reduce bad fats, increase the vegetables & fruits & carbs and also proteïn.
* tapering period is needed and enjoy the rest weeks before the marathon
* stop drinking alcohol, a few days before the marathon (for me it was my last wine on wednesday, marathon was on sunday)
* reduce the alcohol, enjoy drinking less alcohol and more water :-)
* increase the carbs a week before the marathon, so more of pizza, pasta, bread, oats, bars, potatoes and enjoy it
* the day before the marathon: RELAX!!!! (not like me running on high heels sightseeing New York :-()
* the day before the marathon: eat super healthy super foods & power food like: avocado, eggs/ flax egg, bread, low fat, pasta, eat not that much, for instance my day was:
- breakfast: bagel - banana - coffee
- coffee & chia muffin
- lunch: bread - eggs - avocado - water ( I was not vegan then)
- diner: pasta vegetarian :-) one portion @ restaurant (normally 3 portions but before a marathon I advice 1 portion and dessert is better) - water - cheese cake New York style and icecream :-) - coffee
* TAKE A MASSAGE BEFORE MARATHON DAY!
Really the best advice ever!
Because of my sightseeing the day before the marathon, I was physically tired, so I booked a last minute thai healing massage and it was the best decision I've made in a long time.
Especially Thai massage is very healing for the body and mind, they really take care of the body from toes till fingers, really every part of the fascia has taken care off :-)
AND AS A MARATHON RUNNER YOU ONLY DESERVE THE BEST!
PHYSICALLY READY, CHECK!
* MINDSET is everything: if you believe you can run the marathon, you have already won, just believe in yourself and you can run it
* search for a reason to run the marathon, why you would run a marathon?
For yourself? For a cause? A charity? Your lifepath? For competion? Issues?
Everybody has a reason, search for your reason and it will motivate you.
* watch motivational videos from marathons, especially the TSC NY city marathon
* watch inspiring running videos
* during your first marathon, especially New York, GO WITH THE FLOW, enjoy the view, do not look at your watch, do not look at the time, do not look at the pace,
JUST ENJOY THE RUNNING AND LET YOUR BODY LEAD YOU,
if you want to run for a specific time, just run a second marathon, then you are more ready & prepared
* ENJOY THE TRAINING
* ENJOY THE MARATHON
* drink enough water & sport drink during the marathon, also eat enough breakfast (for me it was @ 6 am and 9 am, also bars and water, during the marathon 4 gels, drinks, dextro at the end)
* ENJOY IT AND DO NOT TAKE IT TOO SERIOUS
* THE ADRENALINE & THE RUSH/ TRANCE STATE OF MIND WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE FINISH
* BE GRATEFULL FOR THE AUDIENCE & YOUR BODY
* TRUST YOUR OWN MADNESS
"IF YOU CAN RUN A MARATHON, YOU CAN HANDLE ANYTHING :-)"